Monday, September 19, 2011

Fried Food, Pork Skins, Rice and Beans OH MY!

I just celebrated my 2-WEEK Vegeversary!  HOLLA all you health nuts and green people!   This is huge for me...here's why...

I am part of a secret breed of Latina women who truly love, enjoy, eat, overindulge, fantasize and obsess over Latino foods...is it fried? I love it! is it pork? I want it! is it something we boricuas like to call "cuchifritos"? I will take a dozen!...  I grew up eating all the wrong foods in a Puerto Rican household...I mean we ate pigs feet...and it was yum! AND, here I am at whatever age making this huge life change....(thought I'd share that w/ ya, huh!)
 
Sure, I have lost over 60 lbs...but when you lead a lifestyle of all the wrong foods as I have ...with the many and mucho visits thru a drive thru and the many YO YO diets ...I may have the results...but I am not done! 
 
Honestly...when I see the new incredibly and abnormally thin generation eating at restaurants I want to kick them in the face (sometimes)...I mean how easy it comes to these teeny-something's....to eat just a salad with dressing on the side and not once touch the dressing...I mean who does that ...really? A teenage mutant person...that's who!  Did I mention that they also happen to be  GLAMAZONS!  Strange right...is it all the GMO stuff they eat, or don't eat?  GOSH, it is a mind trip... really!

Then, here you have the greater majority of Zumba enthusiasts...day in and day out...doing their shake, wiggle and giggle...

--->and even with our best efforts we will not ever, ever, ever have the ___________________ they have.
(fill in the blank).  

Well, ditch that thought my friend!  Because in my heart I know, we can do great things!  and feel great!  and look great!  as we were designed...let's show 'em how its done ladies...

My reasons for going vegetarian have to do with HEALTH and COMPASSION fully and completely.  I saw the movie FOOD, INC...and holy smacks did that break my heart, then it freaked me out.   I love animals...and cannot eat something that has a heart, feels fear, has feelings, experiences emotion and more (sappy, I know...)...and I can't believe it just never hit me before...even w/ two vegetarian step daughters...

Now, here's what else you need to know...I suffer from a disease called PLSPARANOID LATINA SYNDROME.  Yes, we are known for our Passionate Loud and Sassy natures...but what most people do not know is that we WILL diagnose ourselves into any and every potential sickness and disease once we feel something...  Laugh With Me on this one!  It is true...thank God for my husband who talks me down...oh yeah, once I thought my spleen exploded...

So I started to ask myself what the heck is in my body...how hard is my body working to sustain itself...if I eat dead stuff...won't I feel dead-like...low in energy etc... then there were the PLS thoughts...how about watching commercials having to do with medications...I will swear up and down that I may have that disease...SO AFTER I SAW FOOD INC...that night much like I research every disease imaginable...I researched the best steps to take to transition into a vegetarian lifestyle...and bought a few books on Raw Foods.

After I saw FOOD, INC...I went shopping for some stuff...like...
  • raw kale chips - ok, seriously who the heck eats these...cut my tongue off and sew my mouth shut, gag me with a spoon!
  • seaweed wasabi snacks - love love love these!
  • raw seeded crackers - really enjoy these during tough rehearsal times
  • tempeh patties - really, soak the freakin' patty before use...no patience/no time
  • veggie burgers - love them!
  • smart dogs - I am a New Yorker used to eating "dirty water dawgs" off the street...yet I cannot even stomach these nasty little processed things
And, when I want comfort food???  Watercourse Foods Restaurant in Denver CO...love love love that place!  Vegetarian, Fresh Foods, no GMO's...it's all good!  Their fresh potatoe french fries are the bomb.com!  Everyone knows I love fries!

What is great!  I do not have cravings, I know when I need to eat and what, My tastebuds are changing...and everyone has commented on how great I look...which is BONUS AND SCORE! for sure! 
------------
And to my good friend Tisha...no I have not told my family yet I am vegetarian...oh boy!  All I can hear is "pero que pasa con la rubia Doritita...que ella no come carne...estas enferman?"

No comments:

Post a Comment